Live from NPR News, I'm Dale Wilman.
The Department of Education is threatening the American Bar Association's ability to
“accredit law schools and peers at Chanuky Metat reports.”
In most states, a school must be ABA approved for students to take the bar exam and become licensed lawyers. The Trump administration has called out the ABA as being too progressive, including for its diversity, equity, and inclusion policies.
Now, the Education Department has taken its first step to strip the ABA of its power
to accredit law schools. A department's spokesperson told NPR that the ABA did not comply with its accreditation regulations and shared a near 500-page report that, in part, claims that the ABA is not sufficiently independent of the institutions' decredits. Melissa Hart, who chairs the ABA's accreditation council, said, "The council is confident
it complies with the Higher Education Act and with the Department's requirements for accreditors. A final decision to take away the ABA's accreditation power could take months."
“Genoky Metat and Pernu's President Trump says he plans to remove tariffs on some imported”
beef to reduce prices, but as Nebraska Public Media's Macy Buyers reports, agriculture leaders say the move could harm some cattle producers. Beef prices are up this year due to a smaller cattle herd, but people are still lining up at the meat counter. President Trump said more tariff-free low-priced imports of ground beef could help save consumers
money and give farmers time to grow their cattle herds. But Nebraska Farm Bureau President Mark McCarck disagrees. "We're just short cattle and trying to market up, but what that does is also provides added dollars into those ranchers' pockets to do the expansion that is needed to actually get more supply on the market."
The White House says that suppliers have agreed to sell the duty-free meat at 25% below current market prices. For NPR News, I'm Macy Buyers in Lincoln, Nebraska.
“The Trump administration has taken another step toward potentially changing the way children”
get vaccinated against infectious diseases, and Pernu's Rob Steine has more. The Department of Health and Human Services is seeking public comment on possible changes in how the federal government categorizes childhood vaccines. For example, federal officials are asking whether more vaccines should be in a category called "shared clinical decision-making." That's where parents are advised to consult with the health professional about whether
or not a vaccine is absolutely necessary. This is the first concrete step taken by the administration to implement a controversial executive order president Trump signed last week about childhood vaccines. That order calls for children to receive fewer shots and space out the shots they do get more. Rob Steine in Pernu's.
On Wall Street stocks finished up as investors trimmed their losses from earlier in the week. And you're listening to NPR News. Two former organizers of Hong Kong's decades-old vigil in remembrance of the 1989 TN man squared crackdown were convicted this week in a national security trial. The charges were brought under a law put in place by China that's crushed that city's formerly thriving
pro-democracy movement. A British court has ordered Prince Harry, Elton, John, and five other celebrities to pay up
to $47 million in damages to a newspaper publisher they sued after they lost a high
profile privacy case, Friday's order coincides with news that Harry and his wife Megan, the Duchess of Sussex, are moving back to Britain. Empires Lauren Freyer reports from London. This order comes amid questions about what Harry and Megan planned to do here professionally to earn money since they're still non-working royals. Harry is one of those who together have been ordered to pay an initial $13 million
by next Friday. And may have to further reimburse the Daily Mail's publisher for the rest of its legal costs, too. The other claimants include singer Elton John and his husband and model actor Lee's Hurley. Together they accused the publisher of malpractice, including phone hacking. But a judge ruled against them citing a shortage of evidence and the possibility that information printed about them came from legitimate reporting. Harry and the other
celebrities haven't till early October to appeal. Lauren Freyer and PR News London.
A Texas court has slashed to $50 million judgment against Info Wars founder Alex Jones,
just $6 million. The original judgment came in a case against Jones for falsely calling the 2012 new town Connecticut school shooting a hoax. The ruling though does not affect one and a quarter billion dollar judgment against Jones in the state of Connecticut. I'm Dale Wilman and PR News. This week on the MPR Politics podcast, the Trump administration is taking credit for a major
drop in violent crime. Murder, robbery, assault, all down in big cities and small towns. We're going to dig into the numbers and unpack whether this is really as simple as the president claims it is on the MPR Politics podcast. Listen on the MPR app or wherever


