NPR News Now
NPR News Now

NPR News: 08-22-2026 12AM EDT

1h ago4:40749 words
0:000:00

NPR News: 08-22-2026 12AM EDTSee pcm.adswizz.com for information about our collection and use of personal data for sponsorship and to manage your podcast sponsorship preferences.NPR Privacy Policy

Transcript

EN

Live from NPR News, I'm Dale Wilman.

The Supreme Court Friday allowed the construction of the White House ballroom to continue at least until the court considers an emergency appeal from the Trump administration. A lower court at order that construction stop Friday, President Trump was in South Carolina where he responded to the ruling. I just want to thank the Supreme Court and the Chief Justice, and we have a ruling that

it's proceed. When they say proceed, I think that's a good thing.

That's a good thing. Nothing's easy today. Chief Justice John Roberts signed the temporary order. A federal court has dismissed the U.S. Department of Justice's lawsuit against a Michigan county that sought to force the county to comply with the Trump administration's immigration agenda.

For member station, W.E.M.U. Kevin Mirshard reports. Earlier this year, the DOJ sued Washington County, charging the county violated federal law by refusing to undertake specific aspects of the Trump administration's immigration agenda. In a ruling judge K. B. said that the government cannot compel localities to enforce the administration's priorities in the manner it wishes.

County Commission Chair Katie Scott says it's a victory for communities around the country. This was one small county standing up to these policies and saying, this is not right. And we're not going to be part of this.

Scott says the county can respect federal law without being forced to do the federal

government's job for them. For NPR news, I'm Kevin Mirshard in Ipsilanti, Michigan.

Northwest Indiana is in its second week of power outages because of storms that hit that

state on August 11th. As Barb Angriana reports, city and state officials are calling for more transparency from electricity provider Northern Indiana Public Service Company. Nipsco says nearly 375,000 to customers lost power in what they called the worst outage in the company's history.

And estimates the power is still out for nearly 68,000 to customers. Gary Indiana was one of the hardest hit areas Nipsco says they expect power will be back there Tuesday. Gary mayor Eddie Melton says it's been a frustrating situation.

I have to demand that Nipsco provide more accurate restoration times, specifically

for Gary because the information that was shared was omitting Gary Indiana Governor Mike Braun in a social media post Thursday praised crews working around the clock to restore power. He also urged Nipsco to take the situation seriously. For NPR news, I'm Barb Angriana in inapolis.

The United States has set to impose 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian products

early Saturday after last-ditch negotiations failed to resolve the latest strain and already tense relations between the historic allies. Wall Street finished Friday on an upnote that Dow Jones and Dustreels climbed 1%, both the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq rep by 410s. This is NPR news.

The first South Korean container ship to cross the Arctic, while traveling to Europe set out from the port of Busan on Friday, as NPR's Anthony Qun reports from Seoul, the round trip is expected to take about 45 days, potentially saving time for the shipers. The Panstar Acro is carrying used cars, auto parts and chemicals, as it heads for the Arctic's northeast passage and route to the UK, the Netherlands, and Poland before heading

home. South Korea wants to build Arctic shipping skills, show its a player in Arctic-related governance and diplomacy, and find new routes that bypass Middle East chokepoints. One geopolitical risk is that South Korea will need permission from Russia to transit waters off its Arctic coast, that could urge western nations, which are trying to isolate Russia

because of its war on Ukraine. And the South Korean ship could face sanctions if, for example, it has to pay for help from a sanctioned Russian icebreaker, Anthony Qun, in P.R. News, Seoul.

TikTok has reached a $400 million settlement with justice department over children's privacy

concerns. Under the deal TikTok will pay $300 million right away, the other $100 million will be paid after an order vacates an early decree against the social media platforms predecessor company. Windham Clark went bogey-free Friday to take a one-stroke lead at the P.G.A. Golf Championship under way in St. Louis this weekend, Gary Woodland shot a sixty-five and sits one-stroke

back, Woodland is continuing to recover from brain surgery in 2023, and JJ Spon celebrated a 36-birthday Friday with a sixty-five and sits two-strokes off the lead. I'm Dale Wilman, NPR News.

Compare and Explore